Thanks to Karen and Kurtis for sending these photos of the 40C machine they have at Cutting Edge Engineering of Ormeau, QLD.
Click images for larger views
Goetz machinery just seems to keep going, on and on… a testament to the build quality.
Here’s a 15C 15 Ton Power Press about to get a new lease of life on the NSW central coast, as a press to make parts for an ingenious guttering system for houses and other buildings. Sections of the guttering can be swung down to empty the leaves.
Thanks to Michael Bell for the info and photos.
Unloaded: I-Beam attached to the base as a travel prop
Variable Frequency Drive inverter – how to run a 3-phase machine on 240V single-phase
The work table – can be tilted to enable pressed parts to slide off easily into a bin for increased productivity.
The cast lettering in the frame of the press shows W. G. Goetz & Sons Pty. Ltd. at West Melbourne – a reference to their Batman Street site. Goetz moved from West Melbourne to the Hall Street, Spotswood site in 1939. It was on 29th April 1939 that Goetz changed from being a Pty. Ltd. entity to a publicly listed company, becoming W. G. Goetz & Sons Limited. Further castings and ID plates showed their base of operation simply as “Spotswood Melbourne” or just “Melbourne”.
This post has a collection of blueprint diagrams, instruction cards and a user manual for the 15C, 15 Ton Power Press.
For photos, see the 15C Photo Post
The instruction manual contains foldout copies of the following diagrams:
Click the image below to download a PDF of the manual (6.4 MB)
The above blueprints and cards were sent to new Power Press owners in envelopes, some of which like this example, must have been old stock left over from when W. G. Goetz was located in West Melbourne. The old address has been crossed out and the Hall Street, Spotswood address has been added. ‘Pty’ has also been crossed out, reflecting the change to a public company from 1 April 1939.
The W. G. Goetz & Sons Fly Press in the photos below is believed to have been owned by what was the Bendigo Ordnance Factory and later, Hofmann Engineering.
The Bendigo Ordnance Factory began in 1942 to produce heavy artillery and naval guns. Around May 1989, Australian Defense Industries was created as a government-owned corporation, which took over the operations of major Australian government owned defense facilities including those at Bendigo.
As part of the plan to eventually privatise the industry, around 1999-2001 the Australian government enacted plans to sell ADI. The successful bid was that of the joint venture between Transfield and French group Thomson-CSF.
Thomson-CSF became known as Thales in December 2000 following its takeover of UK defense electronics group Racal Electronics.
By 2006, Thales increased what was its 50% share in ADI to full ownership. ADI became Thales Australia.
During 2010, Hofmann Engineering, who it seems had the Fly Press shown here, acquired 5 hectares of the Bendigo site from Thales Australia, including workshops.
Thanks to Michael for the photos. Click on an image below for a larger version
Here’s a photo of a metal plaque attached to an unknown machine made by W. G. Goetz & Sons Ltd. under licence from the Buffalo Forge Company, USA.
The ‘Ltd’ on the plaque indicates a date after April 1939, when W. G. Goetz & Sons Pty. Ltd. became a public company, dropping the ‘Pty.’ from its name.
If you know what it might have been attached to or have more info, please leave a comment!
Frustratingly, most Goetz catalogues and promotional material did not include a publication date, but a clue in this comb-bound publicity brouchure saying that W. G. Goetz & Sons Ltd had “Over 121 years service to industry”, places the brochure at or shortly after 1996. The brochure lists various services provided by both W. G. Goetz & Sons Ltd and Goetz Manufacturing Pty. Ltd.
Click the thumbnail image below or here to download the brochure as a PDF 1.2 Mb
For instruction manual and diagrams, see the 15C Manuals & Blueprints post
Approx Dimensions: 1300 x 1500 x 2200 mm
Thanks to Tim at Black Box Audio & Lighting, S.A. for the photos.