Foldout diagram (originally drawn 3 July 1964) from the 25C Power Press instruction manual sent to Carr Fasteners, dated 26 November 1964.
Click image for larger view
1960s ‘With Compliments’ slip showing the old post office sorting code for Spotswood W. 14 Vic. These codes were replaced by the current 4-digit post codes in 1967 by what was Australia Post’s predecessor, the Post Master General’s Department. The alpha numeric telephone codes were phased out during the 1960s, changing to numbers-only (7 digits) by 1971. STD code prefixes were added between 1971 and 1996, the 7 digit phone numbers were progressively changed to 8 digit numbers from 1996.
Click image for larger view
This post has a collection of blueprint diagrams, instruction cards and a user manual for the 15C, 15 Ton Power Press.
For photos, see the 15C Photo Post
The instruction manual contains foldout copies of the following diagrams:
Click the image below to download a PDF of the manual (6.4 MB)
The above blueprints and cards were sent to new Power Press owners in envelopes, some of which like this example, must have been old stock left over from when W. G. Goetz was located in West Melbourne. The old address has been crossed out and the Hall Street, Spotswood address has been added. ‘Pty’ has also been crossed out, reflecting the change to a public company from 1 April 1939.
Thanks to Ray for the items.
A report from a Sunday cricket match between W. G. Goetz staff and the Goetz Die Shop, undated other than a reference to November. The report includes that “Ernie Pond after being hit for six first ball, realised he had 2/- on the game & so took three quick wickets.” Two Shillings shows that the game was during a pre-decimal currency year (i.e. prior to 14 Feb 1966). Other than that, the year and date of the game remains a mystery!
Page 1. Click image larger version
The W. G. Goetz & Sons Fly Press in the photos below is believed to have been owned by what was the Bendigo Ordnance Factory and later, Hofmann Engineering.
The Bendigo Ordnance Factory began in 1942 to produce heavy artillery and naval guns. Around May 1989, Australian Defense Industries was created as a government-owned corporation, which took over the operations of major Australian government owned defense facilities including those at Bendigo.
As part of the plan to eventually privatise the industry, around 1999-2001 the Australian government enacted plans to sell ADI. The successful bid was that of the joint venture between Transfield and French group Thomson-CSF.
Thomson-CSF became known as Thales in December 2000 following its takeover of UK defense electronics group Racal Electronics.
By 2006, Thales increased what was its 50% share in ADI to full ownership. ADI became Thales Australia.
During 2010, Hofmann Engineering, who it seems had the Fly Press shown here, acquired 5 hectares of the Bendigo site from Thales Australia, including workshops.
Thanks to Michael for the photos. Click on an image below for a larger version
Some photos supplied by Ray Pond, whose father Ernie was a Goetz employee. Dates unknown except where noted. If anyone has any info to share, please leave a comment!
Click images below for larger versions.
Here’s a photo of a metal plaque attached to an unknown machine made by W. G. Goetz & Sons Ltd. under licence from the Buffalo Forge Company, USA.
The ‘Ltd’ on the plaque indicates a date after April 1939, when W. G. Goetz & Sons Pty. Ltd. became a public company, dropping the ‘Pty.’ from its name.
If you know what it might have been attached to or have more info, please leave a comment!
Frustratingly, most Goetz catalogues and promotional material did not include a publication date, but a clue in this comb-bound publicity brouchure saying that W. G. Goetz & Sons Ltd had “Over 121 years service to industry”, places the brochure at or shortly after 1996. The brochure lists various services provided by both W. G. Goetz & Sons Ltd and Goetz Manufacturing Pty. Ltd.
Click the thumbnail image below or here to download the brochure as a PDF 1.2 Mb
Goetz employees were given a memento of their first five years service in the form of a set of six square metallic coasters, each 95mm x 95mm.
The coasters shown below were given to Terence Linehan, who worked at Goetz as an engineering pattern maker from 1969 to 1982.
The coasters were “Designed and Crafted” by Paul Stephen-Daly, trading as Louchrilau Nominees P/L of Malvern. The company was known for producing limited edition and custom metallic drink coasters, including a souvenir drink coaster to help publicise the Phar Lap movie in 1983. An example is held at Museum Victoria as part of the Phar Lap collection.
Between August and December 1992 Paul Stephen-Daly also registered designs with Intellectual Property Australia for a bottle rack, bottle rack/trophy and a presentation wall plaque trophy.
The company received various government export and expansion grants during the 1970s and 1980s, however, according to Commonwealth of Australia Gazette, Business (National : 1987 – 2004), the company was deregistered and dissolved as of 4th August 1990.
Thanks to Terence’s daughter Robyn for the coasters. Click images below for larger views